A Turning Point

A turning point in my life was making the decision to go to work in Japan in 1990. My fiance, Patricia, saw an advertisement in the newspaper seeking English language teachers in the Kansai region of Japan and having studied English literature, linguistics and education at university, I had a relevant background. At the same time, the job market in New Zealand was pretty depressed in 1990, so this opening represented a good opportunity. Well to cut a long story short, April of that year saw me getting married and May saw me winging my way to Osaka, with my wife to follow the following month.

The decision has had a major effect on my life. It saw us bringing up our children in Japan, building some strong friendships there and developing a deep love for the Japanese aesthetic. In addition, it resulted in me developing a lifelong career in ESOL.

If I hadn't gone to Japan, it is hard to imagine what my life would have been like. Perhaps I might have gone to a different country and adapted to its culture and brought up my children there, who knows? What would my career trajectory have been if I hadn't moved to Japan? Perhaps I might have become a college administrator or a librarian or something like that? It is fascinating how much a single decision can irrevocably change one's life.



Comments

  1. I'm glad to know your past! Do you have some regret or tough memories during stay in Japan? Do you want to continue to have contact with Japan in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mahiro, there were some tough experiences during our time in Japan. It was, for instance, difficult to find and furnish an apartment when we first arrived in Japan. In addition, it was difficult to communicate with the locals sometimes, because we couldn't speak Japanese well. We don't regret living in Japan though and we enjoy going back there for visits. David :-)

      Delete
  2. My teacher Wendy also told me that she went to Japan seeking for a better life around the same time with you. From that I could image how hard it was for people in New Zealand to get a job due to depression. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your life in Japan, but since then it has changed a lot in various ways, so I hope you could come to Japan to see many new things here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult trying to find a job as a graduate in the late 80's & early 90's, so indeed going to Japan to work was an excellent step for both Wendy & I. No regrets there!
      I agree with you that Japan has been changing since I left there, but at the same time I think it remains the same in some respects.
      I only hope that Japan continues to preserve its wild places - its mountains, foothills & forests and its architectural and design treasures such as its temples, temple gardens, minkas, & machiyas. Some Japanese people today seem to have little time for the traditional Japanese house.
      David :-)

      Delete
  3. The big decision you did is so brave, I think, because leaving my country for a long time is so hard for me. By the way, I want to know why you went back to NZ again? And how long did you stay in Japan actually?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was indeed risk involved in going to Japan, but as they say 'no risk, no reward' and I am glad we took this step.
      I returned to Dunedin, New Zealand, in 2005. We made the move back because it was time for our kids to continue their education in English. My son now has the best of both worlds, as he has been able to complete his university education in English while maintaining the ability to speak Japanese fluently.
      David :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The future: My predictions

The best way to reduce crime

A Turning Point