A Commonly Held Perception

Drinking too much soda will melt your bones and teeth. This commonly held perception has been passed down from generation to generation. However, the perception is false.

It is true that soda dissolves bones and teeth. Their main component dissolves in acid. Therefore, if a bone or tooth is soaked in a liquid containing acid, such as soda, for a long time, they'll be dissolved. However, soda you drunk doesn't come into direct contact with bones in your body. So, soda doesn't dissolve your bones. Your teeth isn't dissolved either. It's because soda passes through your mouth quickly and is in contact with your teeth for a short time. Also, your teeth are protected by your saliva.


Comments

  1. Nice post. Yes, drinking soda is different from immersing a tooth in a glass of soda for a long period. Is it fair to say though that making a habit of drinking soda, as opposed to say water or tea, has a detrimental effect on your teeth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think making the habit has a detrimental effect. It's because soda is a food high in sugar.

      Delete
  2. I totally believed that soda can melt my teeth if I drink soda often, so I'm surprised to know that it is not true. It is interesting that whether it melts or not depends on how long teeth are touched to the soda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, you don't have to worry about your teeth when you drink soda. Now, soda is all-you-can-drink! lol

      Delete
  3. It is very interesting post for me. I could understand why boned or teeth are not dissolved. But I want to try soaking in soda for a long time. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a try. I suggest you soak a fish bone into soda after you eat fish. Or you can soak your baby teeth. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The future: My predictions

The best way to reduce crime

A Turning Point