My dream adventure

 

I would like to go to Finland, Sweden, and Norway to see, and do many things but the thing I want to do the most is to meet Saami people. Saami is the biggest indigenous group in Europe. They live in the North part of those three countries, and Russia. They speak Saami language, and they make a living by hunting and fishing, but also by selling reindeers. They live with about 6 reindeers, and they sell their meat, and furs. Saami do not treat reindeers as just animal, but life partners which help them survive. It has a very long history between Saami, and reindeers, and they can not live without each other.

I would go there by airplane, and after I arrived, I will use train for transportation, because it is very advanced, it can take you almost anywhere. I would stay there for a week, and enjoy 3 countries as I like. I would rather go there by myself, because I can plan my itinerary freely, and do not have to worry about changing the plan. I would like to go there to make people pay more attention to them. Because of the climate change, the temperature of the Arctic is raising , so reindeers are having trouble getting food, and they might dye for starvation. Not just reindeers, but also Saami are having a hard time to make a living. This trip will make me think how deeply human are connected to animals. We eat their meat almost every day, but there are people who are living with animals such as reindeers.   




Comments

  1. I didn't know about Saami. When do you want to do the trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe in the summer, because I would like to see how Saami people are spending their time in a hot weather.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your wonderful adventure planning! I'm interested in Saami language. If you go there, would you like to study the language before you go? Or have you ever studied the language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might not study before I go there, because I want to ask those people to teach some words which are still used and which extinct.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating! I once watched a clip about the life of the Saami. They live in one of the harsher environments to be found; one though which at the same time is breathtakingly beautiful.
    Can you explain how warming temperatures are making it harder for the reindeer to find food? I would have thought longer 'summers' there would have meant more opportunities for the reindeer to graze.
    Regarding your transportation plans, don't you think you might have to switch to horseback or snow mobile, once you get to the end of the railway lines?
    Tell me more, David :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the temperature raises, fallen snow becomes thick ice so reindeers can not dig underneath it to get lichen which are their main food sources.
      I also think If I go there I will have to change to snow mobile or some kind of special transportation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The future: My predictions

The best way to reduce crime

A Turning Point